Mysterious and sensuous; a voice coated in vulnerability with melodies as dynamic as the inspiration it came from, Sophia Danai is a singer, a storyteller, a producer; an artist. Her soul piercing voice and poignant lyrics are an empowered and naked account of life at its most elemental, seamlessly weaving through elements of alt R&B, soul and pop over gritty electronic beats. Sophia Danai invokes a passion in each listener that creates a personal experience, be it joy, pain, sorrow, fear, strength, or redemption. Hailing from Vancouver, BC, Sophia has emerged as a talent to watch for, working with top producers and established artists and always evolving in her artistry.
Sophia released her sophomore album Love Royale on March 1, 2016, to a warm embrace from critics and fans alike. This record is a statement about empowerment and knowing your own mistakes, yet continuing forward, better and stronger. Immersed in deep, hypnotic beats and putting the raw beauty of Sophia's sultry vocals on centre stage, Love Royale explores the beauty of the human condition. While Sophia co-produced the entire release, Grammy Award winning producer Jon Brown (Meghan Trainor, Pink) produced the glamorous and romantic "Daytime Dreaming" single, and Vancouver's Matt Brevner produced several tracks including the heavily catchy electro-pop single "Bitter". Sophia's longtime drummer and producer Jon Holisko shows his contributions on the slow, dark groove of the "Something to Nothing" single. Each single comes with a music video as well, showing the creative reaches of Sophia Danai to the world.
Sophia Danai released her debut EP Wishing Well in 2013, The album was produced by Grammy Award winner Chin Injeti, and featured Talib Kwali, Shad and DJ Khalil. Her song, "Higher Baby," was licensed to Appleton Rum for a national campaign, and she garnered two Juno nominations for her work with Madchild, and rising stars SonReal and Rich Kidd. A dynamic live performer, she's shared the stage with Aloe Blacc, Quadron, and De La Soul.
Previous Artist --- Next Artist
- "The queen of Canadian soul music"
"Vancouver's funk and soul dynamo"
"Dawn has deep musical roots that take her powerful voice from gospel and soul to funk, jazz and world music. A passionate songwriter and performer, Dawn crafts her music with a sense of adventure, quirkiness and serious groove and shapes it ... read on
- En Karma is a distinct and unmatched commodity in the Bhangra industry. The only Punjabi band in North America, En Karma's members deliver musicianship and performance abilities without compare. Drawing on their UK influences for live band arrangements and infused with their more contemporary influences in Vancouver, En Karma has ... read on
- Old school reggae, ska
"Roots Roundup plays a high energy globe spanning music, mashing up the sounds of rock, reggae, ska, afro-beat, funk and old school punk rock." read on
- Mysterious and sensuous; a voice coated in vulnerability with melodies as dynamic as the inspiration it came from, Sophia Danai is a singer, a storyteller, a producer; an artist. Her soul piercing voice and poignant lyrics are an empowered and naked account of life at its most elemental, seamlessly weaving ... read on
- Khari Wendell McClelland is a diversely talented and ever-evolving musician. Originally from Detroit, Khari has become a darling on the Vancouver music scene with reviewers lauding his performances as a clever mix of soul and gospel. Khari's songwriting crosses genres and generations, joyfully invoking the spirit of his ancestors ... read on
- Carmanah embraces the energy of Canada's beautiful west coast and chose its name to honour the ancient rainforest on Vancouver Island, the Carmanah Valley. Known for connecting with audiences of all ages and musical preferences, the band delivers an eclectic sound that incorporates elements of folk, funk, rock and ... read on
- Musician Songwriter Ukulele Player Yoga Teacher
Desirée Dawson hails from Vancouver, British Columbia. You might know her as the warm hearted and humble girl who won CBC's Searchlight Competition, as well as rocking stages with her ukulele all around the world. Asides from her soulful ... read on
- Santur* player and composer *Persian hammer dulcimer
Sina Bathaie, Composer, Santur player based in Toronto is known for his unique style and approach toward Persian contemporary music. His hypnotic performances have garnered him fans from across the ... read on
- We are the Deep Sea Gypsies.
The small historic city of Victoria on Vancouver Island is home. Since forming in 2010 the deep cold blue of the pacific has loomed its influence. Raw, rugged Rock & Roll drenched in the blues. We are forever unapologetic about our love ... read on
- Bitter sweet vocals, aching lyrics, and indelible melodies, with instrumental and vocal harmonies... a tight ensemble of stand up bass and two guitars and three part harmony...deftly crafted compositions that traverse folk, roots and country expressions.
Debut album in 2016 ,SOME CUIOUS BIRDS has gained CBC recognition and named essential album ... read on
- Rocky Mountain folk pop
Free spirited singin', songwritin', storytellin' husband and wife duo, Joal and Lauren. are deeply passionate about connecting with people through folk, roots music and laughter.
Joal's debut album, Sojourner, won the Album of the Year Award at the Western Canada Music Awards in 2012. And more recently he ... read on
- The Metronomad is a Singer-Songwriter based in Edmonton, Alberta. He has a deep connection to his family's cultural roots in Pakistan; he draws these aspects of Indo-Pak poetry into his songwriting while shading his compositions with influences from his personal guitar heroes, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Jack White and Paco ... read on
- "an incomparable voice and brilliant fingerpicking"
"the folk tradition with sincerity and integrity"
Whether mining the depths of human emotion, or pleading the case for social and environmental justice, veteran Canadian folk singer-songwriter Ken Dunn has inspired, and warmed the hearts of audiences across Canada, the U.S., and Central America. Combining "brilliant ... read on
- Local musicians Lukah, Matt Emig, Adam Robertson and Ben Wayne Kyle have just released their debut album of songs with a distinctive indie sound. Songwriter and bandleader Lukah Bouchard is a rare talent who has brought his indie rock and acoustic sound to many venues on the coast. read on
- This talented young local musician is performing solo for us this year in the Sunshine. He brings his haunting voice and unique songwriting to our new Palm Beach stage. Ben is a producer and member of local ensembles the Lukah Bouchard Band and Silver Atlas. read on
- Tyler Barfai is a west coast musician currently from Powell River who plays original roots, blues and pop genres. Also known for the rocking sound of Tyler Bartfai and the Stowaways. Tyler is inspired by the music of JJ Cale, Clapton, John Mayer and Bob Dylan. Emotionally driven lyrics speak ... read on
- The Tla'amin Spirit Singers share their traditional culture of storytelling through moving drumming and song. The spirit singers represent an opportunity for native youth to rediscover and celebrate their culture and a chance for non-natives to learn about our native community members. read on
- Andrea Layne Black majored in Theatre at the University of Lethbridge performing in 20 plays, moved to Vancouver and acted in four Vancouver Fringe Festivals with Penniless Theatre Company, did three solo shows of performance storytelling, and worked in film and TV. She moved to Powell River and has ... read on